The Hotchkiss Alumni House facility is available only to W&L students, faculty, staff and alumni and invited guests. For their meetings and functions which directly complement the University’s mission or goals, there is no rental charge. Examples would include a departmental reception, a student group meeting, or a W&L Alumni Affairs or alumni chapter event. Such groups may be asked to post a security deposit, which will be refunded after the event if the facility is left as it was found.
For other, primarily personal or social events to be sponsored by a member of the W&L community, such as a wedding reception, shower, or private party, the sponsoring student, faculty, staff or alumnus/alumnae may request rental of the facility. The modest fees are designed to help defray the costs of maintaining the facility and to account for wear and tear from events.
In all cases, use of the facility is governed by these regulations. The University reserves the right to deny any request deemed inappropriate for W&L or the facility.
If you have any questions, please raise them before written confirmation is received. Thank you for considering Hotchkiss House!
USING HOTCHKISS ALUMNI HOUSE; Revised and Effective May 15, 2015
Thank you for considering Hotchkiss Alumni House! It is available only to W&L students, faculty, staff, and alumni and their invited guests. For their meetings and functions which directly complement the mission or goals of the University and/or the Alumni Association, there is no rental charge. Examples would include a departmental reception, a student group meeting, or an Alumni Affairs or alumni chapter event. Such groups may be asked to post a security deposit, which will be refunded after the event if the facility is left as it was found.
In all cases, use of the facility is governed by the rules below. The Alumni Affairs Office reserves the right to deny any request deemed inappropriate for W&L or the facility.
Our modest fees help defray the costs of maintaining the facility after its extensive renovation in 2014-2015.
If you have any questions, please raise them before written confirmation is received.
Revised and Effective as of May 15, 2015
- The operation and control of the Hotchkiss House is managed by the Executive Director of Alumni Affairs. That person or a designee will review any request for the facility, assign rental rates when applicable, provide electronic confirmation of the booking, and exercise control in accordance with these rules.
- To request use of the first floor of the facility, you must submit the Reservation Request Form. The request will be reviewed and you will be contacted. PLEASE NOTE: Submitting the form does not book the facility. The space is not reserved unless and until you receive a confirming email from Alumni Affairs.
- Furniture and other contents of the house may not be removed for any reason.
- NO BURNING CANDLES OR ANY OTHER OPEN FLAMES.
- HOTCHKISS HOUSE IS SMOKE FREE; NO SMOKING IS PERMITTED INSIDE THE HOUSE. VIOLATION OF THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN AUTOMATIC FORFEITURE OF THE FULL DEPOSIT AND OTHER COSTS INCURRED TO CLEAN/DEODORIZE.
- The maximum attendance for any function taking place only inside is 100 for a standing reception, 40 for a seated dinner. Groups of up to 150 are permitted between March 1 and November 1 if the outdoor patios will be used in order to augment the total space available. The maximum attendance inside and out cannot exceed 150.
- All groups using the facility must take every reasonable precaution to protect the house and its furnishings.
- FULL ADVANCE PAYMENT, INCLUDING THE DAMAGE DEPOSIT, MUST BE RECEIVED BY ALUMNI AFFAIRS 21 DAYS BEFORE THE DATE OF THE EVENT. Rental rates effective June 1, 2015 for approved individuals and groups are listed below. Note that there is a specified damage deposit, which must be made by separate check, which will be returned only if the facility is left clean and otherwise in the same condition in which it was found. Please make checks payable to Washington and Lee University.
A) $50 per hour plus a $50 damage deposit for small group social events or meetings of 50 persons or less.
B) $100 per hour plus a $100 damage deposit for events of 51 to 100 persons.
C) $100 per hour plus a $200 damage deposit for large events of 101-150 persons.
- Rice, confetti, birdseed, and similar substances are strictly prohibited.
- The offices of W&L Alumni Affairs are on the second floor of Hotchkiss House. The second floor is strictly off limits.
- Between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. weekdays, noise and/or music audible on the second floor are prohibited. No amplified band is permitted at any time.
- Use of the flat screen monitor/TV is prohibited unless expressly authorized after a training session. If it is used, the individual submitting the form and the sponsoring group are jointly and severally liable for the full costs of repairing or replacing any damaged or malfunctioning equipment.
- All functions are under the jurisdiction of W&L Public Safety. Excessively noisy functions or any other disruptive or inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to exceeding the stated capacity limits, will entitle W&L Public Safety in its discretion to issue one warning and then to terminate the event if they deem it necessary.
- By submitting the Reservation Request Form and using the facility, the individual submitting the form and the sponsoring/hosting group agree to be jointly and severally responsible for all matters related to the event. The person submitting that form must be present at the event. That individual is also responsible for leaving the premises in good, broom clean condition, and is expected to use the vacuum cleaner located in the closet under the stairs, and other cleaning supplies located under the kitchen sink, as needed. This rule will be strictly enforced. If the House is left unclean or out of order, or if anything is damaged, it will be cleaned, fixed, and/or replaced at the group’s expense, subject to a minimum charge of $50.00. If the damage deposit is insufficient to cover the full costs, those charges will be assessed jointly and severally against the person submitting the form and the sponsoring/hosting group.
- The person submitting the form is solely responsible for hiring and paying any caterers and bartenders. Virginia ABC and other laws apply, as do University policies and requirements regarding events involving alcohol. See below regarding service of alcohol.
- If any caterer will be used, W&L Dining Services has the first right of refusal. You must contact them at 540-458-8025 and offer W&L the opportunity to cater the event. Should W&L Catering decline or be unavailable, area alternatives include:
Chef’s Catering (540) 462-7181
Southern Inn (540) 463-3612
Full Circle Catering (540) 463-1634
- Alcohol Policies. A separate event form must be filled out and submitted to W&L Student Affairs. No alcohol will be permitted unless that form is approved in advance by W&L. If that approval is not obtained, the event cannot be held, and it will be cancelled immediately. The link to the Event Registration and Use Form is http://go.wlu.edu/SA/EventRegistrationForm. Service of alcoholic beverages is strictly regulated. No alcoholic beverages can be served to individuals under 21 years old. Service to or consumption of alcohol by any person under 21 is a violation of University policy and Virginia law.
- For evening and/or weekend use, please call W&L Public Safety at (540) 458-8999 to unlock the doors and to relock them when the event ends.
- Hotchkiss Alumni House is rented “as is and where is.” W&L assumes no responsibility for damage or injuries to persons or property occurring at or as a result of your event. By submitting the Reservation Request Form and using the facility, the individual submitting the form and the sponsoring/hosting group release W&L, its trustees, officers, employees or agents, from any potential liability for damage or injuries to persons or property occurring at or as a result of such event.